Friday, February 26, 2010

Spending Time Where it Matters


Time management is tricky. Commonly we think we can do it "better and quicker" than if we delegate. I am going through some business development exercises and I have to get better at delegating, or letting go, Monday will be a big test. But what is more interesting is dealing with clients that have no time to invest in their own business but try to write/maintain their own websites. I have had a few instances of this during this past week, someone just walking out 10 minutes ago. She was almost apologizing for the fact that she had issues. I just sat back waiting for her to breath so I could tell her how I could help. In the end she thanked me for explaining what I could do and how it would help.


I know a key factor in seeking a professional for a skillset outside of our own is money. Often the I can do it better/quicker is really a falsehood. We almost certainly don't perform better than the expert in the field and because we have less expertise it is either taking longer or we really aren't getting to the right information for our need. A core piece of my business success is "I am the expert at what I do, you are the expert at what you do, so together we will succeed." It has worked for databases, web design, and more.


Next time you try something that you know a professional can help you with don't just think about the money. Think about the time you will gain, the accuracy of the information you will obtain, and the fact that the resources will all be used where they are used best.

No comments:

Post a Comment