Sunday, April 25, 2010

How to eat an elephant?


I have a love hate relationship with my garden. I hate to commit to working on it. It seems like such a big feat that I have to talk myself into it. We have 10 acres and while the gardens are well established that is a lot of work, especially in the beginning of the season. But the love part of it comes shortly after my gloves are on and I am digging in the dirt, pulling up weeds, slowly but surely making progress. Today I was in the garden, not having crossed the line from hate to love yet when a thought crossed my mind. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time! Each weed was a bite of that elephant.

I have been working in the technology field for 20 years now and most of that time was creating one of a kind custom database applications for customers that couldn't get their needs met with off-the-shelf software. I started my database career with my dad and he had The 10 Rules for Database Development. One the 10 rules was this same question, How to eat an elephant? One bite at a time. I find myself uttering this frequently these days. I have an incredibly full plate. This is a blessing and not a complaint as it sometimes sounds like when someone asks how I am and I then say "busy." Well... I am busy. Busy good. But busy to the point of being overwhelmed. Busy to the point of thinking about blowing off this amazingly beautiful day from gardening to work at my desk inside.

I am now grateful for the decision I made to dig in the dirt. While being momentarily overwhelmed at where to start digging in the yard one of the ten rules came to mind and put my anxiety at ease. Continuing to dig in the dirt, slowly seeing progress I was able to maybe more importanly put my work anxiety at ease. I am now tackling my 3 page to do list "one bite at a time."

Are you busy to point of being overwhelmed? Take a deep, cleansing breath and approach your list like eating that elephant.

4 comments:

  1. Great analogy! I'm certain "one bit at a time" will infiltrate my mind when I weed or am overburdened by a long to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so relate to this, Amber! And yesterday as I pulled small stones out of the grass and put them back into the driveway where they belong, I reminded myself to stay present and enjoy being outside, instead of fretting about what I "should" be doing at my desk.

    Thank you for "one bite at a time".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the reminder to just be in the moment. I often think "Will the world fall apart if I don't get to this right away?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete