Saturday, January 2, 2010

The 2009 Holiday Road Trip

Dan and I embarked on a 10 day road trip for the 2009 holidays.  The idea started from Dan understanding that his parents are not getting any younger, and in not superb health so he wanted to go to Alabama.  Except for the driving part I jumped on board right away. 

It took us 24 hours over two days to reach Ashford, Alabama (near Dothan).  Dan drove every mile and I tried to stay awake with the help of a relatively fast moving book on tape “Arctic Drift” by Clive Cussler.  I took some cat naps and helped supply sustenance to my driver.

We stayed in Alabama over Christmas and left on the 26th for a 6 hour drive to Garfield, Georgia.  Garfield is about 70 miles from Savannah and where my brother, sister-in-law, my two nephews, and her parents all live on a 400 acre farm.  We arrived to clear skies and excited kids. 

We spent two days at the farm (I easily could have stayed longer) and then moved on to Fernandina Beach, Florida.  Fernandina is a little known town on Amelia Island, the northern most tip of Florida that looks directly across to Cumberland, Georgia.   Dan and I both love Fernandina and consider having a winter home there some day. 

All in all we had a great trip.  I flew home on January 1, 2010 to the start of a blizzard.  But I was ready to return to midcoast Maine, my dog, my house, my work, and seeing what is up for 2010.  Please see individual blogs on each segment of our trip.  I hope you enjoy our trip as much as I did.

New Year's Fernandina

No comments:

Post a Comment