Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Job Not for Me

Based on a visit to the dentist recently I was reminded of a favorite show "Inside the Actor's Studio" with James Lipton (see photo). Toward the end of the interview he asks the actor a slew of questions, one of which is "if you weren't an actor what job would you absolutely not want to perform." The answers can be funny, honest, and surprising. Well I just figured out what job would not be for me and that is dentist.

I went to the dentist last Monday for a cleaning and to have two teeth fixed. One had a hairline crack and another needed the cap replaced. Although I was never in pain I was in constant discomfort, feeling like I must have looked like Hannibal Lector form Silence of the Lambs. They used things like a dental dam to make the experience better but it sucked. And this is not a reflection of my dentist. His operation is wonderful. They are thoughtful, quick, constantly aware of you and your discomfort, etc. But it made me realize I couldn't stand having to do work where I had to repeatedly say "are you ok? are you in pain? can I do anything to make you more comfortable?" because you know these questions are being asked because they know they are torturing you.

So I will let dentists be dentists and continue to keep my eye on the IT field. I truly like helping my clients and I don't think I inflict any pain or discomfort during the process.

What job would you abosolutely not want to do?

1 comment:

  1. Anything that required me to sit at a desk for eight hours a day. I'd go crazy. I like to Move it Move it!!

    ReplyDelete